The City of Parsons was barely three years old when the Parsons Savings Bank was founded and chartered May 30, 1874, with $10,000 in total resources. Parsons Savings Bank adopted the title Parsons Commercial Bank in 1878. This title was later changed in August of 1990 to Commercial Bank.
The bank has been at its present location since 1912 and constructed its present main bank facility in 1974 with the grand opening in February of 1975. Commercial Bank's drive-in facility at 2227 Main Street was remodeled in 1980 after having served Parsons since 1959 as one of the first "drive-In" facilities in the State of Kansas. Commercial Bank's location at 302 East Main was closed in March of 2012. Commercial Bank purchased and merged the former State Bank of Parsons into Commercial Bank on September 24, 1985. The drive-up facility at 16th & Corning remained open, but the main bank building was closed in October of 1985. The First National Bank of Oswego was purchased from the FDIC in May of 1989 and became a branch of Commercial Bank. In May of 1990, the deposits and certain assets of Mid-America Federal Savings & Loan in Parsons, Erie, and Independence were purchased from the RTC, along with Peoples Savings & Loan of Parsons. Later, the Mid-America building at 1909 Main Street in Parsons, along with the Erie and Independence locations were purchased from the RTC. The former Peoples Savings & Loan Drive-In facility at 1821 Parsons Plaza was purchased by Commercial Bank and remained open as a facility.
Beginning in the summer of 1990, the former State Bank's main building was remodeled and equipped to accommodate equipment and employees due to Commercial Bank's rapid growth, as its' Operation Center. The Operation Center processes and handles the accounting, personnel, auditing, supplies, bookkeeping, returned checks, proof department, and data processing for all locations.
April 19, 2000, an F4 tornado went through Parsons’ downtown area damaging the Mid-America building. The building was torn down in December, 2000 and a new addition was built in September, 2001. The new added addition was connected to the Main Bank and includes a multi-purpose room, board room, small conference room, rest rooms, kitchen and a basement.
In October, 2001, the Operation Center’s name was changed to the Data Center.
In 2003 the Plaza facility’s name was changed to the Downtown Branch. This name change coincided with the opening up of Main Street to thru traffic. A new ATM was added at the Downtown Branch in December, 2003.
May, 2009 the drive up facility at 16th & Corning was razed and was replaced with a Deposit/Withdrawal ATM and opened on July 3, 2009.
On June 6, 2014 we acquired three branches of Bank of America. The branch locations were in Independence, Caney and Coffeyville, KS. The two Independence branches were combined into one location at 501 N Penn Ave on July 1, 2014.